A Good Yarn

Sunday, March 05, 2006

In Like a Lion?

March has been pretty busy so far. Not a lot of knitting, but I have been having fun. I went with the kids to this show:



eh. If you're a big fan of the books, it captures the innocense and look of the books. The kids liked it. For me, there were a few funny moments, but in general it was pretty boring.

I also saw a play, "A Number." I liked it, but didn't love it. It explored a lot of interesting ideas and the acting was awesome. The writing was just ok. It's about a father who wants a "do over", so he has his son cloned and raises the clone. It explores one of my favorite themes - what makes a person who he or she is.

I also attended a showing of the Short Documentaries nominated for Academy Awards this year. Unfortunately, I got the time wrong and missed the first half of the first one, "The Death of Kevin Carter". It's the one that is favored to win, so I really wanted to see it, too. What I did see was compelling - it's about a South African photographer who killed himself after winning a Pulitzer Prize for his photo of a child from Sudan starving to death with a buzzard stalking him. My favorite was "God Sleeps in Rwanda". That's about the women who are re-building Rwanda after the genocide. It's really amazing and inspiring. And there's even a scene with a woman knitting in it! The other two were "The Mushroom Club" about Hiroshima 60 years after the bomb and "A Note of Triumph" about poet Norman Corwin, particularly his radio broadcast on VE Day. I liked them all and am so glad I got a chance to see them this year. I'm also glad the Academy didn't do away with this category as they have been talking about.

And since tonight is the presentation of the Academy Awards, here's my Top 10 Films of 2005:

1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Crash
3. Broken Flowers
4. Good Night and Good Luck
5. Munich
6. Capote
7. Cinderella Man
8. Match Point
9. Hustle & Flow
10. Syriana

As you can see, my top 6 are all nominated for Best Picture this year. That NEVER happens.

And here's my list of the Best Documentaries of 2005:

1. Unknown White Male
2. The Real Dirt on Farmer John
3. Mad Hat Ballroom
4. The Aristocrats
5. Why We Fight
6. Murderball
7. After Innocence
8. Grizzly Man
9. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
10. Occupation: Dreamland

Yeah, March of the Penguins would be #11. I really liked it, but I didn't think it was all that special. It seemed like a very well done National Geographic film. It'll probably win tonight, though. It sucks that only two of my top 10 are even nominated. Of course, I haven't seen Street Fight or Darwin's Nightmare, so perhaps those are really good. I have a downloaded copy of Darwin's Nightmare, but it doesn't work in my DVD player and I don't have the right software for my computer.

I have been knitting a bit, too. I finished my sister's hoodie:



Sorry about that spot of water - a little too much steam. The garter stitch edges are flipping like crazy, so I'm hoping they'll stay down after being steamed. When I pinned it out I realized that I totally messed up on the right side edge - at some point I must have slipped the stitch marker over one so there is only 4 edge stitches, instead of 5. ARGH! Hopefully no one will notice since it's so dark. Now I've gotta sew on the buttons and knit up a belt, so she can either button or tie it shut.

As you've probably heard, Project Spectrum started too. Since I was digging around the stash for some feltable bulky wool to make the bag in Interweave Knits, I decided to pull out some red and pink yarn for inspiration. This is only the most inspirational stuff:





There's some great stuff in there!! I still don't know where to start....