A Good Yarn

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Continuing

As I mentioned before, it was unbelievably hot over the weekend. It's also been allergy high season around here. Thursday night I walked out the door of my office building and it looked like it was snowing:



No, that's not snow fallen on the ground, it's from the cottonwood trees. I tried to take a picture of the air, but it was too subtle for my cell phone camera. I think you get the picture, though, allergens galore!

So, anyway, continuing with the weekend. Kerry decided it just wouldn't be right for me not to check out the yarn sale at Borealis, so she agreed to drive me there in her convertible. What a giver that one is! They were having 20% off everything in the store, so I decided to pick up a few things I've been meaning to buy for a while.



Some of the Debbie Bliss Pure Silk. I love me some silk and this stuff is dreamy. I was captivated by this pretty turquoise color, so I decided to buy some to make a ruffles scarf for myself, like the red silk one I made for the Red Scarf Project. I'm thinking this is probably going to be a June Project Spectrum project!



I bought just one skein of this bulky alpaca. I bought some gorgeous chocolate brown bulky alpaca on clearance last winter with the intent of making a hat, and then realized I really needed more than one skein of yarn. So, I've been planning to buy a skein of cream to go along with it and make a chullo hat. This stuff is incredibly soft. But it's too dang hot to be knitting bulky alpaca, so that one's going into the stash until at least the fall.



I also bought some Kureyon to make the cardigan in Big Girl Knits. They didn't have the book there and I couldn't remember how much of the solid color to buy, so I'll have to make that purchase somewhere on down the line. I'll probably go with a purple to match the purples in this Kureyon.

On Sunday I had movie club. We went to see this film:



Oh my gosh, what a powerful film! The film is set in India in the late 1930s, just as Ghandi is gaining power. It's set in an ashram where a 7 year old girl is sent to live with other widows when her husband dies. A husband she never met. It was believed that once you were married, you were forever bound to your husband, so after a woman (or girl) becomes a widow, she is not allowed to remarry because it would be like cheating on your husband. Widows were shunned by the rest of society, their hair shorn and forced to wear only white saris for the rest of their lives. Besides the little girl, you get to know some of the other widows in the ashram and their struggles. Ghandi worked to bring the widows back into regular society. I don't want to give away too much of the story, but it's really heartbreaking and thought provoking. I would highly recommend it.

Next time I'll show you the progress I've made on my Nora cabled cardigan and begin to share my new sock yarns. I didn't finish up Nora in time for the end of May project spectrum, but I'm going to keep working on it and start my blue mitred square for June.