A Good Yarn

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

I'm Back!

The trip to Georgia went very well. I was a little worried about it because before I left, both my mom and my dad called me - I don't hear from either one very often and that seemed like a weird coincidence. The school would not accept our client after 6:00 p.m., so we had to get a hotel room for her and we were a little nervous that she might run away or worse, but everything turned out great. Friday we brought our client to the school, then met with the staff and toured the campus. It was really, really nice. Much better than the other school we were using before. I really hope our client takes advantage of this opportunity and is able to get better.

After that was done, we had the rest of the day for ourselves. We did a little shopping in a cute little town called Dahlonega. They have a town square that is charming and was all dressed up for Christmas. I'm sure in the summer it's overrun with tourists, but we enjoyed our shopping. It was in the 50s, so I was really happy about runnning around without a coat! After a bit, we headed back into Atlanta and checked into a hotel. We ate at Spondivits, a seafood place that we were told was very popular. We weren't disappointed - the joint was jumping and had that great, Atlanta energy and the food was really good. The flight home was uneventful once we got on it - we were bumped from our first flight due to overbooking, but we got to travel first class on the next flight.

I spent most of the day at home on Sunday. Of course, I watched the Vikings squeak out a win, while I finished up my holiday cards. These were the last bunch I made:




I had glitter all over the place by the time that project was done. I didn't pick up the needles at all while I was in Atlanta, so I finished up the Joey Ramone doll later in the day:



As you can see, I haven't figured out the sunglasses yet. The instructions don't mention the sunglasses, so I emailed the designer to see what she did. Those really make it a Joey Ramone doll. I doubt I'm going to be able to finish Joan Jett by Christmas day, but we'll see.

I did get quite a bit of reading done while I was on the plane, so I finally finished "Shadow of the Wind". I actually really liked it. I thought it had an engaging story and I cared about the characters. One of my bookclub mates said it was possibly the worst book she's ever read, so I guess it's different strokes for different folks. When I got home, I started this book:



This is chic-lit about a woman who opens a yarn store in Seattle and the stories of the women her classes bring together. The name of the yarn store is "A Good Yarn". How cool is that! The owner chooses that name for her shop for the same reason I chose it for my blog. Should be a nice, light read.

It's cold as heck here - quite a change from Georgia. We had lots of sleet yesterday, so the streets and sidewalks were quite icy. Today there's actually a little snow on the ground. I wouldn't mind a covering for Christmas! If we have to put up with the cold, at least it should look pretty!