I've gotten an email from my Secret Pal saying that s/he would like me to answer the SP Questionnaire, so here goes:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I have yarn snob tendencies, but I've used Lion Brand yarns quite a bit. I don't really like something that feels really plasticky, which most of the Red Heart yarns do, but I'm knitting a Cabled-T out of Lion Brand Micro-Spun right now.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
Neither. I have very basic crochet skills, so I've occasionally added crochet trim to a knitted piece, but I don't regularly crochet.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I have seasonal allergies which drive me crazy, so I'm on allergy medication a lot, which takes care of any other allergies. I am allergic to pets, but I have two dogs, so it's all under control.
4. How long have you been knitting?
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Not really. I have a wishlist on half.com, but I don't think anyone but me can view it. If you want me to set one up, I can probably do that.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Lilac is my favorite. I also like rose, peony, gardenia and hydrangea. I tend toward florals (obviously) and try to stay away from food scents because they just make me hungry :-)
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yeah. I LOVE anything sweet. Like most girls, I'm addicted to chocolate, but really, anything sweet is right up my ally. I'm like an 8 year old when it comes to junk food.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
As you can see from this blog, I like crafty things in general. I do a lot of paper crafts (scrapbooking, card making, rubberstamping, etc.), which is how I got into the quilling that I just did. I also do a lot of beading. I love to cook. I used to do a lot of cake decorating, but there are so many local bakeries that I want to support, I've sort of stopped doing that much. I have done some quilting, but I'm not that good at it. I did a lot of counted cross stitch before I started knitting. I like to do glass etching for gifts. Get me into a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and I can be happy for hours.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if you want to make her a CD)
Yes, my computer plays MP3s. I'm all over the place when it comes to music - I have very eclectic tastes. I'd say my favorites are modern rock, 80s new wave, 70s soul, classic rock. However, I really listen to most anything. Right now in the CD player: REM, Bruce Springsteen, Harry Connick, Jr., The Smithereens and Bill Withers.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?
My favorite color by far is purple. I'm crazy about purple and wear purple probably 4-5 days per week. I also am crazy about lime green right now. I tend to like bright, jewel colors and stay away from pastels, although I love lavendar.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Single gal. I have two doggies, which are prominently featured on the blog.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
That's way too deep for me to answer here. I've got the big dreams - world peace, elimination of poverty, protect children from abuse neglect, etc.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I'm really a slut when it comes to yarn - as long as it's not too plasticky or too scratchy, I'll knit with it. My all time favorite yarn to knit with was a cashmere I knit a scarf and gloves with - man was that soft! I tend to be attracted to soft yarns and bright colors. I really love 1824 Wool, most of the Berroco yarns, Noro, K1C2. I like cottons because they are so pretty and feel so nice. I like the fluffy/eyelashy type of yarns. Yarns without give don't bother me the way they do some people - I even knit with wire.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
The only thing I don't like is the plasticky acrylic types.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Knitting with beads, probably. I tend to be influenced by the trends in the knitting world, so I'm still felting, knitting scarves and loving Noro Kureyon. More on that later.
I also love ebony knitting needles, so I guess you could call that an obsession. Oh, and beaded stitch markers. Love them! Any kind of little knitting tool makes me happy!
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I guess sweaters, since that's what I knit the most of. I'd try most anything, though.
17. What are you knitting right now?
I always keep 3 things going at once so I can switch between them and not get bored. So, my current three:
1. Cabled T from the Ample Knitters Knitalong
2. Florentine Flattery from Knitters Magazine. It's a cabled cotton sweater.
3. Trick question - I just finished something so I don't have a 3rd project. Although I technically haven't finished the wire knitting because I've misplaced the rest of my wire in that color. And I've been working on the Knitters Magazine Great American Aran Afghan off and on for a couple of years now. I may work another square, so perhaps that's my third project.
18. What do you think about ponchos? (this is really a curiousity question for us)
This goes back to the earlier question where I referred to the "hot" knitting objects. Ponchos are super hot right now and I love them and reallly want to make one. However, I tried on a bunch of ponchos at Nordstrom and they didn't look good on me because I'm so big - it's just a big expanse of fabric. However, I'm thinking perhaps a striped one to break up the fabric might work, but I want to try one like that on before I cast on. I don't want to spend that much time and money knitting a poncho that I never wear because I look like a small sports car under a cover in it.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular, by far.
20. How did you learn to knit?
A Community Ed class.
21. How old is your oldest UFO?
I guess that GAAA would be it, but I don't really consider a UFO because I'm still working on it periodically. I also have a scarf made of unspun silk which is very time consuming, so I've been working on that for a couple of years too, but again, I'm not sure it qualifies as a UFO, because I only work on it periodically on purpose. I consider a UFO a project that gets set aside so you can work on something else - I never intended to make this as a regular project.
22. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Wallace & Gromit:
I'm also a huge Vikings fan, so I like most anything with the logo on it:
My favorite animal is obviously the Shetland Sheepdog, since I have two of them!
23. What is your favorite holiday?
I like them all. I don't really have a favorite. The best, I guess is Christmas because of all the good will, the great food, getting together with friends and family and keeping in touch with cards, and of course buying and receiving gifts! I also love Valentine's Day because I love candy and there's lots of stuff with hearts on it and I love hearts. I love St. Patrick's Day because I'm Irish and love to celebrate it. 4th of July is great because I love fireworks and summer is a very precious commodity in Minnesota. I love Halloween because I love candy (again) and I like the images - witches, ghosts, black cats, etc.
24. Is there anything that you collect?
The biggest thing I collect these days is Yarn. Although it's not really a collection since I'm not trying to fulfill certain categories or anything - I just get what I like. I have a little collection of Wallace & Gromit stuff. I have a lot of stuff with Vikings logo on it. I have quite a few bobbleheads, but I don't really consider it a collection. I like hedgehogs a lot, so I have a few of those. I used to work with hedgehogs at the zoo, so I sort of collected them at that point. At various times I've collected gorillas, pigs and penguins. Collections are really big in my family, so I've dabbled in collecting.
Oh, I used to collect stuff with Mickey Mouse on it too, so I've got some Mickey Mouse stuff. I have a lot of posters for "The Godfather". I have a pretty good collection of action figures - most of them from The X Files, but other various movies I like too. I have a lot of wreaths around the house, so I guess that's sort of a collection too. Gosh, I think I have a sickness! I had to move into a much smaller office last year, so a lot of my "collections" got boxed up.
Anyway, that's me. Generally, I like most anything girly. Love anything sparkly, shiny, beaded, etc. Love candy, candles, soaps. I have an obsession with office supplies, so cool pens or paper or stuff is great. And, of course, I'm a dedicated knitter. Anything that is from your particular part of the country would be cool. Thanks for being my secret pal!!!