A Good Yarn

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

31-17

I'm still sick, but I'm much better than I was before New Year's. I think I've developed a sinus infection. If I didn't say it before, I'll say it again, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I'm well enough now that I'm able to knit again on a regular basis. I've made good progress on Sexie. I'm coming close to completing the scarf exchange scarf. No pictures, because that's supposed to be a surprise. Although the recipient probably thinks she'll never see her yarn again. I am more than halfway done with the Joan Jett doll, but I ran out of yarn, so I've gotta pick up some more. I started in on a hat for a school kid here in St. Paul, but it's kinda boring, so no picture of that either. At least I'm knitting again!

There was no knitting last night though, because the electricity was out in my neighborhood. I got home from dinner with a friend and found total darkness. And coldness. I keep the temp at 60 when I'm not home, but it had fall down to 55 with the outage. So, I huddled under a blanket. Happily, I have a little black and white tv in the kitchen that can run on batteries if necessary, so I set that in my lap and watched a little tv too. After the electricity finally came on, I looked through my new Vogue Knitting and then got ready for bed and such.

As you can see by the dinner last night, I'm also starting to get back into the "social" scene. I had dinner and a movie with a friend on Saturday night. We saw this:



It was entertaining. Not as good as the first one, but not a horrible way to spend a couple of hours. It's just too bad they couldn't get any good looking people for the movie.... We decided to go to this one to try to show our support to Brad in his time of need.

Sunday was of course spent watching the Vikings dismantle the Packers. As I said in my last post, I didn't think they had much of a chance, so it was a delightful surprise. My brother and I went to a local tavern to have a few drinks and watch the game. I was kind of loathe to do so since I thought I'd be cranky, but it ended up being great fun. It's always much better to watch a winning football game with a group.

And my thoughts on this guy?



I've always had a conflicted "relationship" with Randy Moss. He's so darn talented and so much fun to watch. I do think his presence has helped the team immeasurably over the years. I think he brings people into the game. But he can't get out of his own way. He's completely immature and doesn't make good decisions. I've always thought people make way too big a deal out of things because Randy Moss is doing them. Other players do something wrong or stupid and it's just sort of glossed over. But Moss does something stupid and it's "a Federal case".

I was pretty annoyed when he left the field early last week. I do think that's bad. You don't turn your back on your teammates. I was glad to see my favorite players (Culpepper and Birk) call him out publicly. Was it made a bigger deal because it was Moss doing it, definitely.

Loved the afros. Last year when they let their hair out for the Chiefs game I thought it was awesome and then that turned out to be the greatest game of the season. Glad to see the return of the afros and the same result. And Moss definitely has the best 'fro. I'd love to see Latrell Sprewell let out his braids once - I bet it'd be impressive.

The mooning incident is one of those things again. While it was happening, I was laughing and shaking my head. Yeah, it's kind of funny. But it's incredibly immature. I remember thinking I was glad he waited until the second TD to do it - I get irritated when players put on big shows when they're not winning the game or if it's still close. Do I wish he hadn't done it? Yes. My all-time favorite player is Robert Smith and he never did more than flip the ball to the official. Do I think it was a crime against humanity? No. As Tony Dungy pointed out, the Green Bay fans moon the opposing team bus all the time. This was Randy PRETENDING to do the same. Last year the mayor of Green Bay flew in Nate Poole and gave him a key to the city and a seat to the first playoff game after he caught the winning touchdown for Arizona, eliminating the Vikings from the playoffs. That ain't exactly the epitome of good sportsmanship and class either. And I think Fox should check out it's programming (Who Want's to Marry a Millionaire?, Who's My Daddy?, The Littlist Groom) before they start decrying the decline of taste in America. Same thing with the NFL - mooning (and he didn't even really do that) isn't any more offensive than constant commercials for Erectile Disfunction remedies and beer commercials about women wrestling each other in fountains or TWINS. Or as Lori Peterson pointed out yesterday, the cheerleaders practically stripping on the sidelines. So before everyone gets on their high horses, maybe a little mirror gazing would be in order.

A couple of years ago, John Randle made a sack, then crawled on all fours for a few steps, then lifted his hind leg - as if he was a dog pissing on the field. Seems just as tasteless and immature as the Moss incident. It got some conversation locally, but it was no where near as big a story as this. I think the difference is Randy Moss. Anything he does will be judged to a higher standard. Maybe he's brought it on himself and it's justified, but I don't like that kind of unfairness.