A Good Yarn

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

FO!

Here's my favorite hand-knits model showing off my latest FO:



Project Name: Double Knit Scarf
Designer: Bernadette St. Amant
Pattern Source: Class Handout from Yarn Cafe trip to Mexico
Yarn: Trendsetter Dune and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
Yarn Source: Yarn Cafe
Date Started: 1/15/06
Date Completed: 3/6/06

Comments: In January, 2006 I went on a trip to the Maya Riveria, Mexico, with a group from the Yarn Cafe. Every morning we had knitting instruction with Bernadette St. Amant. This double-knit scarf was our group project. I modified the pattern by making it as long as I could and had just enough of the Dune and only a few yards of the Cashmerino Aran left. I learned to make the clover-shaped i-cord tassels in the class.



As you can see, Finbar is recovering well from his surgery. His hair is really starting to grow in:



The Oscars broadcast was fairly uneventful, other than the Crash win for Best Picture. I had read a lot of stories lately predicting the "upset" though, so I wasn't totally shocked. I really liked Crash a lot, so I'm not mad about it. I'm also kind of happy because some people have really trashed Crash and I'm laughing at them now. I won the Oscar pool again:



Pretty, aren't they? The lighting is bad, but here's a closeup:



I also wanted to say something about the passing of Kirby Puckett:



It's so sad for such a young man to die - he was only 8 years older than I am. It's really confusing for me too. Kirby Puckett was the most beloved athlete in Minnesota. The stories about his kindness and decency are legend. Almost everyone who ever met Kirby Puckett was charmed and honored by the meeting. But there was another Kirby. He was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a bathroom, but later exonerated. He also went through a nasty divorce that included revelations of adultery and domestic abuse. It was impossible for me to reconcile those two Kirbys and it's something I think about all the time - you never really know what someone is like from their public persona. And no one is all good or all bad.

For me, personally, I met Kirby twice. I met him once at a Timberwolves game after the allegations. I was lucky enough to have 3rd row seats to a playoff game, directly behind Kirby. He looked very sad and lonely - I didn't see much of that trademark Kirby smile. It was so weird that not very many people approached him or spoke with him. I'm sure he was bombarded with attention in earlier years.

Before that I met Kirby the night the Twins won the World Series in 1987. It's hard for non-Minnesotans to understand how big that World Series was. Minnesota sports fans feel like we're cursed. After losing the 4 Super Bowls and so many other debacles, we just have a fatalist attitude. And then Kirby and the Twins brought glory to Minnesota. I was in college at the time and I lived in an apartment in between the U of MN and downtown Minneapolis. Some friends lived the next building over, so I watched the last game with them - Metrodome was very close and you could always hear the crowds coming out of the Dome. After the win, we decided to walk over to the Dome and celebrate with the crowd. There were so many people down there. We walked to the Dome, then into downtown Minneapolis, then down Hennepin Avenue all the way to Uptown. The whole time, everyone was cheering and giving each other high fives. Over and over and over again. It was a remarkable experience - I've never felt like such a part of a community. Very, very late the crowd finally dissipated and we walked back to our apartments. As we were walking past the Metrodome, Kirby just happened to be leaving the Dome, getting into a Limo. We had the opportunity to give him a high five and congratulate him and it was the greatest thing ever.

1991 was also an amazing feeling. I watched the game in downtown Minneapolis with my oldest friend and her husband. We celebrated the win with strong drinks and felt so happy - I'll never forget that night either.