A Good Yarn

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Goodbye Winter

Today is the last official day of winter. After our two big snow storms, I had these huge icicles on my roof:



They were gigantic and a little frightening looking! They were right over the back steps and I was a little afraid to let the dogs walk under them. Most of them fell off right after the dogs ran down the steps the next morning, so they weren't injured - they dogs are way too fast for that :-)

Today is also the 3-year anniversary of the start of the war in Iraq. I remember sitting at home watching the "shock and awe", totally worried because my sister had just shipped out to Iraq that day. I cast on my Peace Shawl that day, hoping to send some peaceful thoughts and stitches into the world. I guess that didn't work too well. My thoughts and wishes are with everyone whose family and friends didn't make it back from the war safely and to all those troops who are still in harm's way.

Onto happier thoughts.

I saw this film on Friday:



I liked it. It's a good action flick - I was on the edge of my seat a number of times. Bruce Willis puts in another solid performance. This time he plays a cop who is tired, depressed and drunk most of the time. He looks really old and has quite a belly, which I'm convinced is just padding, because it's not nearly so noticeable after the beginning of the film. Willis has to transport a prisoner 16 blocks to testify in front of a grand jury. The witness is played by Mos Def and I really liked his performance, although he could have done it without the very annoying voice. Of course they run into trouble during the transport and Willis' partner of 20 years played by David Morse shows up. I love David Morse and he does an awesome job in this role. There were a few places where I wondered why a simpler solution wasn't considered, but hey, this is an action movie and that would be boring.



Saturday was the AK get-together and I knit up something for Project Spectrum:



Project Name: Take Courage Felted Bag
Designer: Theresa Gaffey
Pattern Source: Knit for the Cure MN Leaflet with Yarn Purchase
Yarn: Courage - Rio De La Plata
Yarn Source: Needlework Unlimited
Bead Source: Yarn Garage
Date Started: 3/18/06
Date Completed: 3/18/06

Comments: A portion of the proceeds of the sale of this yarn goes to breast cancer research, so I bought the purse kit. It's a little paler pink than I usually like. I found these heart-shaped shell beads at Yarn Garage and immediately thought they'd be perfect for this little felted bag. I knit it all up in one afternoon. It felted really easily and well, shrinking quite a bit.