A Good Yarn

Monday, March 20, 2006

Productive Sunday

Sunday I went to a matinee of "Point of Revue" at the Mixed Blood Theater. It was a really good show. They call it Vaudeville of the African American experience. It's a number of short playlets from different African American writers. It's a great mix of humor, music and sharp commentary. There's a piece by Don Cheadle about children forced into fighting in Uganda that is then linked to violence against youth in America that's just heartbreaking. There's a funny piece about gay black men. My favorite was probably a piece about a reality show called "Secretary of Shake" in which Condi Rice has a couple of hoochy-mama background dancers while she sings her original composition, borrowing generously from "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" by Marvin Gaye. The irony is delicious!



I decided to do a little papercrafting for Project Spectrum this weekend, so I made a batch of birthday cards with some nice red paper:



I also finished the knitting and blocked out the second snake scarf.



I guess it sort of fits into Project Spectrum because the snake is red. Now all I have to do is sew on the backing and bada-bing, a scarf, just in time for spring. Oh well. There's always next year, right?

I also finished up the pink Caterpillar bracelet I had started last week:



I actually had done almost all the bracelet last week when I suddenly realized it was WAYYYYY too big. You are supposed to leave a little slack in the thread to accomodate all those beads and I left much too much slack. Once again, I failed to listen to that little voice in my head that was telling me that it was going to be too big until I was almost all done. I cut it all apart and started over. This one is still a little bigger than I ideally like to wear my bracelets, but it's still wearable.

Can you tell that I love this Project Spectrum thing?