A Good Yarn

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Football-Free Sunday

Today is my last football-free Sunday for a while. At least technically. Next Sunday is the start of the NFL season, but the Vikings don't play until Monday night, so I scheduled book club for that day and then I forgot about football starting so I signed up for the Scrapbooking Convention at the Mall of America next weekend and most of my classes are on Sunday. So I probably won't be watching football much next Sunday either. Nevertheless, it begins the season where I really only have one day a week to get all the household stuff done. So, I'm going to try to get as much done this weekend so I can just do quick maintenance every Saturday (that's the plan anyway).

This weekend I did see a movie:



It was ok. Not as funny as I had hoped it would be. I'm a fan of this kind of goofy comedy, but it wasn't in the league with stuff like 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman or Dodgeball. It's got a great cast and some really funny writing, but there are some jokes that just fell flat, at least for me.

This was the first movie I saw in a month. I mean, in a theater - I've watched some stuff on the dish. I also took Michael to see a free kids' movie at the beginning of August, but I didn't actually just go to a movie in the entire month of August. I think that's the first time in a really long time I've gone that long. It didn't look like I missed that much when I was trying to choose a film, though. This is the time of year when there's not a lot of quality films to chose from.

I did some knitting too. Here's my latest sock:



The color is really off in that picture. It's gray and rainy out, so I couldn't get a good picture without the flash and the flash turned the colors wonky - especially the green. It's not that lime. It's actually quite a gorgeous colorway. It's Lagoon - Socks That Rock - not a big shock. As you can see, it's really flashing. And pooling:



I kind of like flashing and pooling doesn't bother me as much as it does others. But this is a lot of pooling. So, I considered ripping it out and trying a different pattern. But, in the end I decided I kind of like having socks that look different on each side and I'm going to just go with it. Maybe I'll hate how they look when they're done, but they'll still be warm and cushy. This is the Gentleman's Stockings in a Lozenge Pattern from Knitting Vintage Socks. I won the book in a contest on Kate's blog.

And finally, a couple more magazines to give away:



The 2006 Knit It



I don't sew, so I have no use for this. There are a few things of interest to knitters, though. There's a pattern for a knitting needle roll. There's an article about different irons - which is interesting for blocking. There's an article about choosing the right color clothing for your coloring.

As usual, if you're interested in these magazines, let me know and they're yours.